This conversation formed from the many conversation I have with personal shopping clients. When talking about money and budgets, it does get personal for many people and for good reason. But with some of the budgets come limitations that keep you from clothes you need for a more Poised and Polished life. So let’s break down expensive and affordable.
Expensive- involving high cost or sacrifice
Affordable - having a cost that is not too high
We have to take a different scope on what these things mean in order to get the most from our clothes and the confidence it represents.
Important to remember
>> The cost of something is totally different from the value of it
The cost of something is strictly monetary
Some things that are lower in cost can are lower in quality, doesn’t always stand true.
Brand Name/Luxury doesn’t change the value of everything
Had luxury items that did nothing for me; had "bargain deals" that did nothing for me
Luxury pricing can be because of historical social capital or quality of process to make it
>> The value of something can be seen in many ways (ex: The versatility of it)
How many ways can it be worn?
Is it a staple? Fast fashion? Something to try out?
>>Fashion math: Finding the balance between cost and value
Investing more money or time into the pieces you wear makes
Expensive clothes may have cost next to nothing money wise, but everything time and style wise
Expensive clothes take up space, make you feel less than fab and don't spark any creativity
HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT THE OTHER POISED & POLISHED EPISODES? YOU CAN SUBSCRIBE ON SOUNDCLOUD OR ITUNES TO STAY IN THE KNOW!
Poised & Polished
- Feb 19, 2019 #029: The white shirt podcast
- Feb 12, 2019 #028: 3 universally chic pieces you want in your closet now
- Feb 5, 2019 #027: 7 characteristics of a stylish wardrobe
- Jan 22, 2019 #025: What's in your glam bag?
- Jan 15, 2019 #024: Cute VS. Comfy: Is there a difference?
- Jan 8, 2019 #023: Websites for the Plus Size Stylista-Jeans
- Jan 1, 2019 #022: The Style Jar
- Dec 29, 2018 #021: THE GIFTS
- Dec 11, 2018 #019: How to dress a larger belly
- Dec 4, 2018 #018: thrift shopping tips for beginners
- Nov 27, 2018 #017: The one item upgrade your closet needs
- Nov 20, 2018 #016: Layering 101
- Nov 13, 2018 #015: Capsule Wardrobes-- What are they and how you can create a great one
- Nov 6, 2018 #014: Sales Pitfalls-- Knowing the real savings behind those sales
- Oct 30, 2018 #013 Websites for the plus size Stylista: Bras, Underwear & Shapewear
- Oct 23, 2018 #012: Denim Whisperer--How to get the most from your denim
- Oct 16, 2018 #011: How to conquer the dressing room
- Oct 9, 2018 #010: My dirty, dark style secrets revealed
- Oct 2, 2018 #009: 3 Lies about size you believe and how to combat them
- Sep 26, 2018 #008 Why you need a tailor and where to find them
- Sep 11, 2018 #006 Fashion Math: Defining Expensive vs. affordable
- Sep 4, 2018 #005 Dressing with Preference vs. Insecurities -- How to spot the difference and change it
- Aug 28, 2018 #004 Embracing the F words: How to find the right Fabric & Fit
- Aug 21, 2018 #003 Virtual Stylista-- 5 websites for the Plus Size Stylista
- Aug 13, 2018 #002 Creating your Style Profile
- Aug 11, 2018 #001 Style toolkit: 3 essentials for an effortless style