A tailor is a tool every stylista needs in her arsenal. Once you get the clothes you want, you will realize that they may need a little tweaking. This is because your clothing is mass produced and therefore not made with your particular body in mind. Most people think that a tailor cost lots of $$$. Nope! The average tailoring fix cost less than your daily Starbucks habit.
Now you know that a tailor is affordable. So where do you find them ? Simple,short answer?: EVERYWHERE. The slightly longer answer? Keep listening.
Where to find tailors
Know where the costumers are;
Find student aspiring to be costume designers and makers, well versed in sewing and construction.
Many are trying to build portfolios and you could be of mutual benefit to each other.
Some may charge; others may not. When I was in undergrad, I have had things hemmed and taken in for about $5 average. You never know until you ask around.
Pro Tip: Look up the theatre chair and email/call them.
Ask about their top picks (student/faculty) for light tailoring
2. Local Theatre companies
Finding the costumer for a local company is hitting a gold mine.
They are usually much too busy, but perhaps know of an aspiring costumer in town who wants to apprentice.
The apprentice is also more than likely swamped, but eager. They will charge.
Know that they will probably also have the costumer overseeing their work for quality control.
3. Word of mouth/ Social media
It if ain’t broke don’t fix it. Word of mouth and social media like Yelp, google and even FB sewing groups can be great helps in your search. They will know the good bad and the ugly, taking the work out of the search many times. They may even offer discounts or referrals. (I love a discount!)
Pro Tip: In the Facebook search box, type your location + "tailor". (ex: "Savannah tailor") click on the Pages or Groups tab. Voila! Access to tailor at your fingertips
What to look for in tailors
Quality of previous work
You can ask to see a portfolio of work
Also ask to see current pieces they are working on
Help you narrow in on if they meet your standards or exceed them
2. Social media
Reviews are the cornerstone of business now a days
People like giving their opinions; use that to your advantage
Get to learn the quirks without making too much of an investment
3. Hem Test
I bring two pairs of pants: one paired needing to be hemmed, one needing a hem let out.
After the job is done, I look to see if I like it. If it’s good, I found a new buddy. If not, to another tailor I go.
If a tailor cannot hem pants well, I cannot trust their skill. It’s like a cook who can’t fry an egg—no Bueno.
- Aug 11, 2018 #001 Style toolkit: 3 essentials for an effortless style
- Aug 13, 2018 #002 Creating your Style Profile
- Aug 21, 2018 #003 Virtual Stylista-- 5 websites for the Plus Size Stylista
- Aug 28, 2018 #004 Embracing the F words: How to find the right Fabric & Fit
- September 2018 4
- Oct 2, 2018 #009: 3 Lies about size you believe and how to combat them
- Oct 9, 2018 #010: My dirty, dark style secrets revealed
- Oct 16, 2018 #011: How to conquer the dressing room
- Oct 23, 2018 #012: Denim Whisperer--How to get the most from your denim
- Oct 30, 2018 #013 Websites for the plus size Stylista: Bras, Underwear & Shapewear
- Nov 6, 2018 #014: Sales Pitfalls-- Knowing the real savings behind those sales
- Nov 13, 2018 #015: Capsule Wardrobes-- What are they and how you can create a great one
- Nov 20, 2018 #016: Layering 101
- Nov 27, 2018 #017: The one item upgrade your closet needs
- December 2018 4
- Jan 1, 2019 #022: The Style Jar
- Jan 8, 2019 #023: Websites for the Plus Size Stylista-Jeans
- Jan 15, 2019 #024: Cute VS. Comfy: Is there a difference?
- Jan 22, 2019 #025: What's in your glam bag?
- Jan 29, 2019 #026: The overflow theory: How to get, apply & keep it
- Feb 5, 2019 #027: 7 characteristics of a stylish wardrobe
- Feb 12, 2019 #028: 3 universally chic pieces you want in your closet now
- Feb 19, 2019 #029: The white shirt podcast
- Feb 26, 2019 #030: blackout-- how to master the art of wearing black
- Mar 5, 2019 #031: How to find quality clothes on any budget
- Mar 12, 2019 #032: How to build your style uniform and why you need one
- Mar 19, 2019 #033: 3 websites for the stylista -- Clothes
- Mar 27, 2019 #034: How to re-purpose clothes
- April 2019 5
- May 2019 4
- June 2019 4
- July 2019 5
- August 2019 4
- Sep 3, 2019 #57: What to look for in a good bra
- Sep 10, 2019 #58: The stretch factor: Good and bad stretch in your clothing
- Sep 17, 2019 #59 Emerald Thoughts: Forever21 Diet bar fiasco